“TMJ” actually stands for temporomandibular joint. TMJ Disorder refers to a family of problems related to your jaw joint and has symptoms of general pain and/or clicking sounds when you open your mouth. Some types of TMJ problems can lead to more serious conditions so early detection and treatment are important.
How do you know when you have TMJ Disorder? The more times you answer “yes” to the following questions, the more likely you are to have it:
- Are you aware of grinding or clenching your teeth?
- Do you wake up with sore, stiff muscles around your jaw?
- Do you have frequent headaches, earaches or neck aches?
- Does stress make your clenching or pain worse?
- Does your jaw click, pop, grate, catch or lock when you open your mouth?
- Have you ever injured your neck, head or jaws?
- Is it difficult or painful to open your mouth to eat?
How is TMJ Disorder treated? There are various treatment options that can be utilized for improving the function and harmony of your jaw. We always tailor treatment to your individual needs.